So, I’m a bit nervous to write this post. But on the other hand I’m really kind of frustrated—though I’ve been hiding it. I like to be positive.
In the first mass email I sent to my team members, I told them that if the challenges ever got to the point where it wasn’t fun to do it anymore that they should back out. The whole point of this blog is to have a fun reason and “excuse” to get your personal history recorded. Well, I’m afraid it has come to that point for me—it’s no longer fun.
When I started this, it was mostly to help my family get their stories written. And some of them have, though I think most of them are not. It has certainly helped me though, and I’ve gotten a ton more recorded than I’d ever hoped! Along the way I’ve been able to help some of you too, and that has made it worth it.
But the thing is that lately, in all honesty, it has become more of a burden to me than being fun. I’ve been thinking about the reasons why, so here they are:
- I keep getting all these ideas of ways to improve the blog and to help others get their stories recorded, adding things to help others get it done like the Fast Forms and Fast Fact Fridays or free printables and digital kits. I spend at least an hour a day working on things for the blog, but I feel that no one even cares or is even grateful. It takes time to write posts, organize the challenges, make freebies, get stuff from team members, post on FB and Twitter…and do the challenges on top of that. Only every once in awhile does someone comment on the blog or on FB. I can count on one hand the people that regularly do. It’s always nice to get feedback, comments and thank-you’s to help me know that my work and time are appreciated.
- With the time I spend, I feel like it’s a part time job. I have four kids. Young kids. Every minute I spend on here is a minute that I’m ignoring them. They are growing up too fast, and I do ignore them sometimes to work on this blog. I try to do a lot of it when they’re sleeping, but that means that I’m giving up other things. I haven’t had much extra time to put into activities I like to do: scrapbooking, sewing, crafting, card making, writing on my personal blog, working on my photography business, etc. because my free time has been spent working on this blog. Maybe if I were making some money at this, it would be worth it. Maybe. But, I have never made one cent, nor am I looking to make anything off of this. I enjoy sharing my ideas and letting others benefit from it. Maybe if I had an extra hour of the day…or someone helping me with administrative things it would take some strain off.
- I feel like I’m the only one talking about this blog. Every once in awhile I’ll see that someone has posted about it or pinned it, or shared it. But for the most part, I feel alone in this area. I don’t have money to advertise, so word of mouth—that’s you—is how it has to be done. We have spurts of new people finding the blog, so I know that’s when you’re sharing. And then all is quiet for weeks at a time.
- Traffic is slowing down. I have the blog tracked—I have a basic idea of where you live, what browser you’re using, how long you stay on the site, your age range, etc. All of this is to help me know how to better help you and to get to know my audience. But, lately the blog has gotten fewer and fewer visitors. It makes me feel like I am somehow failing. I know everyone’s time is precious. If you’re like me, you start out strong on something then fizzle out after awhile. Maybe that’s why there’s fewer visitors. Maybe the challenges aren’t fun anymore. Maybe no one feels like they have time. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.
So, here’s what I would like to know:
- What would you like to see more of/less of? Do you want to come to the blog more or less? (Like only once a week—just for the challenges.)
- Do you like the challenges so far or are you getting tired of them? Ready for different types/styles?
- Does anyone besides Laura do Fast Fact Friday? I haven’t heard any input on that at all from anyone else. Maybe I should cut it out, or find someone to only do that. It doesn’t take me long to do it, but it’s still a half an hour of time that I don’t need to waste if no one is doing it.
- Is there anyone interested in helping me run the blog and/or the FB page/Twitter/Google+ pages in an administrative manner?
- Would you like to see other things on the blog, like crafts, projects, printables, etc. or do you just like it to be only the challenges and things related to recording your history?
- Should I just quit? I’d leave the blog up as is, so you can always go back and finish up any challenges you haven’t done, but there just wouldn’t be anymore added after this month.
- Would you prefer to have the challenges lessened—like to one or two a month? (Or would you just space it and not do any at all?)
- Any other ideas, advice, thoughts you have?
I really do enjoy helping others record their history, but I think I’d be more excited if I felt like I had more help and support. I want to love doing this blog again, but if it’s something that isn’t doing good for anyone, I will spend my time elsewhere.
If you have anything to say, please either say it on here (you can even do it anonymously if you choose), or you can email me: emils24(at)gmail(dot)com if you’d prefer to do it in private.
Thanks for your time and feedback.