7.08.2011

Worth so much more after I’m a goner…

My kids have had swimming lessons this past couple of weeks, and the radio station they play on the loud speakers plays this song (“If I Die Young, by The Band Perry) EVERYDAY…I must admit though, that I love it, so it never bothered me. Winking smile Listening to it so many times though, I’ve been able to reflect on the words. This verse is one that really struck me:

“A penny for my thoughts, oh, no, I’ll sell ‘em for a dollar
They’re worth so much more after I’m a goner
And maybe then you’ll hear the words I been singing
Funny, when you’re dead how people start listening.”

There are 2 points that I want to share from this song:

#1) We often forget how fragile life is. We could live to be 109, we could die tomorrow. If we don’t start our recording life story NOW, it might not get done at all!
#2) What we thought, knew, and recorded will be gratefully read by those left behind, even if we think our story is boring or mundane.

I am so glad that I’m taking time right now, even as busy as my life is with my family, to record my life story so far. I hope that when I’m gone, my children will read my stories and remember the legacy I’ve left for them!

Here’s the video and song, just in case you want to see and hear it.

Your words will be“…worth so much more when I’m [you're]a goner…Funny when you’re dead, how people start listening…”

No comments: